Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Are atheists afraid to live in Nature or the country away from a city?

I ask this because I'm beginning to conclude that the majority of self-proclaimed atheists have not really had a significant experience or length of time living outside of urban or city settings. I wonder if this influences their perspective toward denying the existence of a Creator because they are devoid of actually participating in a first-hand account of what it's like to live strictly within Nature itself, away from the cold, often impersonal environment typical of the city. Does living in the city somehow justify an atheist's assumption that there is no God because they have never lived outside the constructs and distractions of a city?Are atheists afraid to live in Nature or the country away from a city?
As an atheist raised in a rural area, I couln't agree more... no, wait, disagree more. So, your claim is that I should have been temped to joining the wiccans in my youth? I know there are other religions that worship nature, but none in this country, in englad I guess it should be druidic? Or some native american faith for the americans.





Didn't happen, can't see it happening to anyone. Sounds like city-thinking, like someone who's never lived with nature glorifying what little experience they have from one or two camping trips as a kid.Are atheists afraid to live in Nature or the country away from a city?
Actually, mathematically, the probability proved to be 1. Report Abuse

I live in suburbia, but I've lived in the country before, and I spend every summer in a secluded cabin in Vermont.





This young woman lives in Oklahoma in the middle of nowhere, and she's an atheist:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-tkQ75_F鈥?/a>
I used to live in the mountains of Pennsylvania. It was boring but not scary. That 9 mile drive for groceries didn't do much for me either. And trust me, it is way lonelier out there than in the city. But the country is the first place I head on vacation.





The reason that we often live in the city is that we tend to be more educated. The corporate jobs are nearly all there, so you have to.
I lived for 27 years in the wilderness of the Amazon, studying bird ecology. I know dozens of biologists fairly well, all are atheists who have done extensive field work in natural wildernesses.
I live out in the country. I live in a little New England town and I'm surrounded by woods and horse farms and apple orchards and rolling hills. We don't even have a grocery store in the town I live in. We need to drive to the next town over. I've never lived in a city environment. I can't stand the city. I can barely tolerate even visiting a city, let alone living in one.
No, I have lived in the country in the area near the border between Myanmar and Thailand. I do not mind that people believe in gods or spirits (like most people over there do).


They have their belief and it makes some of them happy.


But I believe it is better to believe as little as possible and to know as much as possible.


If you are only beginning to conclude, please stop doing that immy, unless you have some facts you are not showing us. You believe (but do not know) what you wanted to believe before you started to conclude.


What do you mean by self-proclaimed atheists? Do you mean there are atheists who have been proclaimed by the Barbie Fan club, or by the Rotary?





Would you believe me if I told you that I begin to conclude that relgious people wear more often jock shorts than atheists?





Have a nice day.
As one of the aforementioned biologists myself, yes I have spent considerable lengths of time living out in the wilderness, far away from cities (I once spent a summer being airlifted into remote areas, left for a week with a tent and supplies while doing bird and mammals observations with no other human being for hundreds of miles).





I am pretty much as atheist as they come, as are the vast majority of other biologists I know.
I grew up on a primitive subsistence farm during the great depression . My whole life was nature . I tramped the woods every minute that I was able . I know every animal, bird , fish ,tree , shrub , berry , every tinyest thing . I did not live close to nature - - I was part of it .


Our house had no water , no heat , no electricity , no insulation. This was my home for my first twenty years of life , until I joined the army .


So if you think only big-city guys are non-believers , you're as screwy as the other Holies who are forever analyzing us .
Atheism tends to be concentrated by educational level, not by physical location. There are roughly the same % of atheists in urban and rural areas according to this study:





http://groups.google.com/group/Atheism-v鈥?/a>





Atheism is not the result of a ';self-proclamation';, we are all born atheists with no knowledge of ';god';. Those who believe do so because they have been indoctrinated to do so.





If that were NOT the case, missionaries would not have to travel to faraway places to ';educate'; the ';unenlightened';! Who has LESS ';distractions of the city'; than natives in a jungle somewhere? LOL!
And your premise is based on... what?





I live 30+ miles from the edgel of a major metropolitan center. My house is surrounded on three sides by trees. I'm an atheist with a bird bath.





Are you arguing that nature is proof of god's existence? The vast biodiversity we see around us has been explained adnauseum at www.talkorigins.org.





Besides, nature is a cruel bastard. Where would you rather your car breakdown? Times Square, NY or Death Valley, NV.
LOL That's just plain silly. I've lived in the middle of no where before. Really. Our closest neighbor was a couple of miles away. I miss that. I love NYC for instance but it's the country side I love the most. But, no, living in the country didn't make me wonder if there is a god.
That's right. Their god is themselves, and the goverment god they have constucted to take care of them.





Really odd when you look at the goverment's doing in disaster's such as Katrina. Should have proved to them that the US government is using their money NOT to protect them, nor to bring them aid, BUT only to spy on them to see who does or does not have weapons so that they can come disarm them when their need is most critical.





I feel a rant coming on........
I am an atheist, I come from a relatively town, that borders in between a rural community and a suburb. There are farms all over the place, vibrant trees, and an overall quiet that has comforted me since I was a child, to the extent that I despise the hustle and bustle of the city, and cannot bear to be in crowds. It is because I find that nature is beautiful in of itself that I find that a God was unnecessary. Nature itself is all that we humans need.
I like going camping, using pine cones as toliet paper (j/k on that one) etc. But please, show me some numbers on the distribution of atheists around the globe.
a) I doubt you know what the distribution of atheists is with regards to urban or rural environment, show me numbers.


b) there is a reason many biologists are atheists. Nature is a cruel mother; 99% of all species that lived are now extinct.
The only reason a majority of the people who live outside a city are religious is because they need something to help them cope with their hardships; something to believe that they are not alone. However, there are still many Atheists that live in nature and outside a city.
I live in the country. So?
You're wrong. My evolution professor (who was also an atheist) lived in the country with his wife, who was a wildlife rehabilitator. He would bring in pictures of the animals she cared for (or sometimes, if they died, he would bring their carcass in) and explain how their various physical structures and behaviors were explained by evolutionary theory.





It was a marvelous and very informative class and he allowed all views to be heard. He went out of his way to bring in guest speakers who were well-known and intelligent creationists or believers in ';intelligent design.'; Then he would debate them, or bring in someone else to debate them.





I wish these classes had been taped so everyone could see them. I learned more in that class than I did in most others.
I would give my right arm to live out in the country again, but I'm stuck living in the city for the time being. I grew up on a farm, and loved it. I HATE city living. It has nothing to do with my atheism.
I don't think you are correct. You are certainly not correct in my case. However your view might be skewed by the fact that there are not many high speed Internet connections in the countryside. In other words the effect is both one of the high urbanization of society in general and the relationship between the technology and population density.
another silly question from a christian. -.-
  • Ltd
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    unemployment rate