Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wiccans, how do you connect with nature when you live in the city?

I move from the county to the city, and am having a hard connecting.Wiccans, how do you connect with nature when you live in the city?
answer: I would get to a park, walk through garden nurseries or get out of the city to the mountains or the ocean. One thing that helped was having plants and animals around me.





Going outside on a full moon, sitting with your back against a tree and trying to shut out any city noise can do in a pinch.





Hang in there and find ways to reconnect. An herb garden in your window, plants everywhere, getting out of the city when you can - all helpWiccans, how do you connect with nature when you live in the city?
Understand the college and city frustrations. You might find being in the library among books relaxing. Pagans are usually book junkies. :) Report Abuse

I go to parks, and wildish areas around the train tracks, to walk my dog. While I'm there, or on my way, I practice identifying herbs and plants that people have in their gardens. I gaze at the moon and stars, if it is night. If it is daytime, I admire and bask in the sunshine. Dogs can really help with feeling a connection to nature when you live in the city. I find it easier to make excuses to go to grassy, wild areas (they DO exist!!), to let the dog off the leash. I also have to go outside 4+ times a day to let him go to the bathroom.





Also, you can connect with nature in different ways than just being outside. Try baking or cooking - you always have to use plants to cook. You can think about the plants growing, thank the Deity for them, and read up on specific herbal properties (good for those doggy walks too, as mentioned).





I saw a book in a used store, I don't remember what it was called, but it was about identifying nature in the city. It featured plants like plantain (not the banana thing, the green, broad leafed, low lying plant thing) which grow in a HUGE abundance, and have herbal properties, and it reminds one of the smaller critters in life, like snails, frogs, mice, squirrels, ants and spiders. All of these things are nature - and are in CITIES! Try finding a similar book.





Also, you will be absolutely surrounded by CEMENT. Try keeping in mind how cement is formed - it is sand, lime and gravel I believe (I could be wrong about the lime). These things are of the Earth, and represent the Earth element. Try meditating on this, and realize how much closer you have grown to the elements - fire (combustion in cars and electricity coursing through wires), earth (cement and other building materials), water (puddles in the street, water running through gutters and drains and pipes everywhere), air (the smell of different people, all the chatter in the airwaves, all the cell phone signals bouncing around, the smell of foods). Just because you aren't surrounded by grass and trees all the time anymore does not mean you are not surrounded by Deity and the elements at all times!!





Best of luck!
Learn to take care of house plants. My sister has a veritable garden in her house. I ,on the other hand, kill anything green in days. I have a horrible black thumb. ;-)) But I do buy myself flowers when I can because I love the smell of fresh flowers.You can even do flower boxes and plant a small herb garden or vegetibles. I agree with finding a way to get to public parks, take long walks-good for excercise as well- check out your local zoos and national parks. Find you local farmers market and start frequenting it. Best deals are towards the end of the day when they are getting ready to leave. You get fresh veggies and you help a local farmer. Check out your community calander in your area to see when there are festivals and music shows. I love going to the Art in the Parks and outdoor music festivals. It's a way of getting out of doors and you have a wonderful way of spending the day. Enjoy the summer and blessed be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
unemployment rate